Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Disconnecting -- not an April Fool's joke!



Technology. You're pretty cool, but you also sorta suck (after typing that I'm just waiting for my computer to shut down in protest...). 

I'll be the first to admit that I'm addicted, connected at the hip, and disgustingly obsessed with my phone. I'm always. on. my. phone. But come on, it was made for that. Nowadays technology is being made so that you can do literally everything on one device. Pinterest, check the weather, email, texting, talking, FaceTiming, Facebook, Instagram, shopping, banking, dinner-planning, finding a good restaurant, looking up what the name of Pepe la Pew's girlfriend was (it was driving Justin and I crazy, we just couldn't think of it!), Pinterest, Pinterest... I feel like I'm forgetting something, did I say Pinterest? 


Sad, but true

Not to mention, I can't count the number of times I have used my phone as a decoy to avoid awkward situations like long silent elevator rides with one other person you don't know -- why don't I pretend to write an email? Or how about when you see someone walking towards you from a distance that you sorta know but don't really know but would be considered completely rude if you just walked by without acknowledging them at all (but what if they don't acknowledge you and you do that weird like smile, half wave just to realize they are ignoring you..) -- why don't I just pretend that someone just called me and am now in the middle of an enthralling conversation! "Sorry I didn't see you, I was caught up in the exciting news my friend just called me with!" 

Technology has made us awkward. It's weird how it has made us so incredibly advanced in some ways, but in other ways it has made cavemen look like they have more social skills than us. That's just plain awkward

Well, I don't want to be awkward anymore. Everyone that actually knows me and my phone habits are going to start laughing uncontrollably when I say this next part (they won't buy it for a second, but I'll show them...), I am going to slowly wean off of my technology. Not completely, but just to a lesser level of dependence than I have right now. I have noticed lately that a lot of other bloggers I follow have been making rules about their technology usage and it has inspired me. In fact, the other day I turned off my phone completely for a little while. I mean, it was only an hour, but hey, at least I was disconnected for a little while. Baby steps. 

So maybe choose a day or a part of a day and don't use any technology. Don't Instagram on Sundays. I don't know, I'm still trying to figure out my game plan. I want to learn how to be able to just sit and do absolutely nothing for a period of time. I realized I had a problem too when my mom would call and ask what I was doing. I'd reply with, "Oh nothing, just got home so I'm just sitting on my bed." That's a complete lie, even though I felt like I was doing nothing. I was simultaneously on my phone, on my computer, the TV was on, and I knew Justin would be calling shortly to FaceTime. That's not nothing. That's a whole lot of something. 

This leads me to the whole reason I started writing this post. Justin. Justin's all about quality time and making the most of the moments we have together. He's a huge part of why I vow to make a difference in my phone addiction. He's the one who always calls me out on it. 


I thought this was hysterical and actually so adorably cute and romantic
Justin and I have made rules about phones in our relationship. We have a long distance relationship now that he lives in New Hampshire so our phones are pretty crucial to being able to talk every day and see each other every day. This is when I am so thankful for technology. But when we are actually together, the few times a month we actually get to be side-by-side, phones are an absolute no-no. At dinner, no way. Don't even think about taking that phone out. Both of our phones live inside of my purse while we are out and about. The only exception is to take pictures. But as soon as the pic is snapped, the phone goes away. No texting, no calling people, no scrolling through your Instagram feed. Nothing. And you know what? I. Love. It. I can feel that I am better concentrated on us and our conversations. I'm good at multitasking, but it really takes away from a little of whatever you are doing. I am so happy and thankful that Justin came up with this no phones rule, it means that he too is more interested in me than what's going on with the rest of the entire technology obsessed world at that moment. Try it. Completely disconnect, if not for you, for the one you love while you are together. Learn your loved ones faces, expressions, and funny little quirks by actually seeing them with your own two eyes. Not by the pictures of them on Instagram, their comments on Facebook, or their videos on Vine. Live in real time. 




In honor of bashing technology a bit, I decided to share one more thing I love that requires no technology at all. Snail mail. I love sending mail. I'm a bit of a handwriting, letter-opening, greeting card-buying, pretty stamp-finding, plain. old. freak. I'm ok with that. I actually love it. Because of it I have so many tangible memories throughout the past two years I've been with Justin, I have a better relationship with my Grandmother who now is my pen-pal, and I have the satisfaction that people love receiving mail from me. It's my thing. I'll never stop.

I created a round up a few of my favorite cards out there currently to share with you! Be funny, be mushy, be sincere. Or make your own!


1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11


Or if you find spending money on paper a little silly (it's not, but that's your opinon), why don't you just make your own? If you follow me on Instagram you'll probably remember when I shared the envelopes I made. Being homemade, they add an even higher amount of "I love you"-ness to the letter. 





Wanna be pen-pals too? 

Oh, I thought of something for you! How about you vow to only use your technology to read this blog! That's a brilliant idea! 

-- xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Meet Me in Gramercy © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat